Who can apply?
Department of Dentistry, National Taiwan University Hospital, offers clinical electives for foreign dental students who have completed the basic medical sciences and partially completed clerkships. In order to be eligible for a limited number of clinical clerkship positions for foreign dental students, the following requirements must be met:
- Students must be in good health and in good academic standing in their own dental school.
- Students must have completed and passed at least 48 weeks of required clerkships prior to taking overseas clinical electives.
- Proficiency in Chinese or English language, particularly in speaking and listening comprehension, is preferred.
**At this time, we only accept students from schools of the
United States, Canada, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy,
Luxembourg, Netherlands, Denmark,
Ireland, United Kingdom, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Austria,
Finland, Switzerland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand,
Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Required Application Documents
The following documents must be received 3-6 months prior to the beginning of the elective clerkship:
- A completed
application form along with two recent photographs (passport size).
letter of recommendation from the Director of Academic (Student) Affairs or the Dean of the Dental School (use the enclosed form).
- Curriculum vitae.
- Certificate of clinical clerkships (or equivalents) completed or will be completed at the student’s school before taking electives.
- Proof of health insurance, for the student while traveling and while in Taiwan.
- Academic transcript (or record).
- Upon receipt of the above documents, the application will be reviewed by chairperson(s) of the respective department(s) and it normally takes about 4-6 weeks to process. When the application is accepted, a letter of acceptance describing all rotation schedules of the clinical electives will be issued. The applicant must confirm his/her decision about our arrangements at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of the elective term. If he/she needs to withdraw from the electives or change his/her arrival date, please notify in writing at least 8 weeks before the elective term.
Course fee and Insurance
Each student should donate NTD$2500 (about US$75) per week for each elective course, when he/she reports to Department of Dentistry, National Taiwan University Hospital. The fee is not refundable if the student subsequently shortens or withdraws the courses. No subsidy or stipend is available from Department of Dentistry, National Taiwan University Hospital or its affiliated hospital for the student’s stay in Taipei. In addition, the student is responsible for covering his/her own health insurance.
The following courses are available for your clinical electives at the National Taiwan University Hospital. The total term of your clinical electives ranges from 2 weeks to 14 weeks.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: 1 to 14 weeks course
Oral Diagnosis: 1 to 14 weeks course
General Dentistry: 1 to 14 weeks course
Endodontics: 1 to 14 weeks course
Restorative and Esthetic Dentistry: 1 to 14 weeks course
Prosthodontics: 1 to 14 weeks course
Periodontics: 1 to 14 weeks course
Orthodontic and Dentofacial Orthopedic: 1 to 14 weeks course
Pediatric Dentistry: 1 to 14 weeks course
In the application form, please list the desired course(s) and also the alternatives in case your choice(s) is (are) not available during your elective term. You may also indicate certain elective courses or subspecialties of your particular interest, which are not listed above; we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please be noticed that once you have been accepted for electives and want to change your dates or courses of rotation, an official letter from your school to change your electives dates will be needed.
The term for clinical electives is preferred to be rendered during our regular semesters:
(1) from mid September to mid January; (2) from late February to mid June.
Credits, Certificate, Evaluation and Final Report
Credits for the clinical electives taken by foreign students are not available from our hospital or dental school. However, a certificate will be given to the student upon completion of the clinical electives. Before completion of the elective term, the student must submit a final report for the overall elective program and give comments on individual courses.
Please email the report to email@example.com (Dr. Bor-Shiunn Lee)
Step1： At 9.00am on the first date of your
elective, please report to Office of School of Dentistry (牙醫學系辦公室)
on the second floor of Department of Dentistry, National Taiwan
University Hospital building.
Step 2： Please donate the course fee at Office of School of Dentistry. New Taiwan Dollars cash, US checks, money orders are acceptable.
Step3：The teaching assistant will give you a student ID card.
Tel: +886-2-23123456 ext 66866
There are several cafeterias on the NTUH B1 with reasonable price ranging from NT $50 to 100 per meal. Across from Taita Jing-Fu Alumni Hall, there are also many restaurants and cafes.